Re: [TCLUG:9988] .bashrc security

On Wed, 10 Nov 1999, Jared Sprague wrote:

> I have a problem that maybe you can help me with.  I
> work in the Linux lab at my school, and every time I
> leave my terminal for any amount of time my co-workers
> put all kinds of nasty stuff in my .bashrc. Usually
> they put in a logout, then log me out so I cant log
> back in again, without getting root to remove the
> logout.

The recommendations to lock your screen in some fashion are spot on.
Logging out--despite the annoyance--is good too. Too bad you have to work
with people like that. If I ever come across a session that someone has
temporarily abandoned, I think about how much I would hate it if others
were digging around in my files or mail, and respectfully leave it alone.

Security starts with you, but it might also be worth politely asking them
to leave your account alone if they do indeed find it unattended for
whatever reason.

Cheers,
Joel

Joel A. Koepp <jkoepp@atlas.socsci.umn.edu>	University of Minnesota
77 Bedford St. SE, Apt. 2			Department of Geography
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3553			M.A. Program
Tel: 612.378.4812				PGP/GPG keys on req.