RH6.1 dialup woes

I formatted my hard drives this weekend, and now, finally, have Linux and
other OSen booting from my hard drive.

Under linux, my video card runs X very well, KDE is keen, gnome is gnarly,
and even sound is sebatious. However, I cannot seem to dial out for
Internet use.

First, I tried Gnome and the RedHat dialer. Modem lights (USR Sportster
Voice external) turn on and... nothing. Then I tried KDE and kppp. Same
deal, different lights. Debugging kppp shows an error with M1L4, so I
removed the L4. Now it dials, gets CONNECT and tells me the server needs
to validate itself or some weird thing.

I'm using Visi as my ISP du jour, and would appreciate any pointers.

Many thanks,

Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"Wait a minute, Joe. If what you're saying is true,
then I still don't care." - Dave Nelson, News Radio