Re: [TCLUG:10159] DSL

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Peter Lukas wrote:

> The covad folks should be installing my 384K SDSL line this Saturday.
> Funny, U S West can't/won't even qualify me for 256.  Their equipment
> looks to be much more capable of handling DSL duties than the 675
> deathtrap (only time will tell, though).
>
> VDSL is a 70MBps-ish DSL service designed to compete with broadband.  It
> promises full cable television equivalence while running over existing
> POTS lines.
>
> By the way, the Covad/Onvoy deal is offering free installation, free first
> month and free CPE.  It also includes the plain vanilla Internet account
> and (although I'd rather do without one) a static IP address.  Until they
> realize it doesn't scale well, their DSL service is provisioned for
> bridging mode, not PPP.  Has anyone else ordered DSL service from
> Onvoy/Covad (the network formerly known as MR-NET)?
>
> Peter Lukas

I've got it. It rocks. I'd rather have DSL through USWest and Real Time,
but ah well. Now, to convince Onvoy to give me a 16-ip subnet for home use
at a reasonable price... they originally told me they want $10/ip (!) (I
can only stand IP Masquerading for so long.. I'm used to having a subnet
from my dialup.. hehe)

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700