Re: [TCLUG:10159] DSL

The covad folks should be installing my 384K SDSL line this Saturday.
Funny, U S West can't/won't even qualify me for 256.  Their equipment
looks to be much more capable of handling DSL duties than the 675
deathtrap (only time will tell, though).

VDSL is a 70MBps-ish DSL service designed to compete with broadband.  It
promises full cable television equivalence while running over existing
POTS lines.

By the way, the Covad/Onvoy deal is offering free installation, free first
month and free CPE.  It also includes the plain vanilla Internet account
and (although I'd rather do without one) a static IP address.  Until they
realize it doesn't scale well, their DSL service is provisioned for
bridging mode, not PPP.  Has anyone else ordered DSL service from
Onvoy/Covad (the network formerly known as MR-NET)?

Peter Lukas