Re: [TCLUG:10231] Apache config

> I'd like to make one person in charge of each school's site and allow them
> to upload new pages via ftp. All of the schools' pages are under
> /home/httpd/. For example, Somerset Elem. is at /home/httpd/somerset,
> Community Education is at /home/httpd/comed. I know it's mostly right
> because looking at http://www.somerset.isd197.k12.mn.us/ or
> http://www.comed.isd197.k12.mn.us/ takes you to the proper site.
>
> How would you recommend setting up groups and permissions such that one
> person is able to modify their school's pages and no one else's?

Simply chown the /home/httpd/<whatever> directory to be owned by whomever
you want to maintain it. You may need to set up a specific account for
that person or it may already exist on your system. The only requirement
is that the user that your http runs as have read access to the files
and directories.  Nothing special here...

> Further, I can't figure out why individual pages are not available under
> http://school.hostname/~teachername? I've had this problem before, but
> this seems different. I've set permissions in the users' public_html
> directory to 2775, but I still get a 403: Forbidden error (no permission
> to access that directory on the server).

Make sure 'UserDir public_html' is defined in your srm.conf file.
Then make sure that the user http runs as has read access. Make sure
the users home directory is 755 and not 700 for example. This should
work fine for a mostly default configuration.

Reference http://www.apache.org/docs-1.2/mod/mod_userdir.html for
detailed info...

Regards

					- Karl