Apache config

Hi everyone,

I'm doing some work on our school's Web server, and I've run into a
problem that has me a bit stymied. We've got an official IP number for
each school in our district so I've got virtual hosts running on Apache,
one for each school that has a Web page.

I'd like to make one person in charge of each school's site and allow them
to upload new pages via ftp. All of the schools' pages are under
/home/httpd/. For example, Somerset Elem. is at /home/httpd/somerset,
Community Education is at /home/httpd/comed. I know it's mostly right
because looking at http://www.somerset.isd197.k12.mn.us/ or
http://www.comed.isd197.k12.mn.us/ takes you to the proper site.

How would you recommend setting up groups and permissions such that one
person is able to modify their school's pages and no one else's?

Further, I can't figure out why individual pages are not available under
http://school.hostname/~teachername? I've had this problem before, but
this seems different. I've set permissions in the users' public_html
directory to 2775, but I still get a 403: Forbidden error (no permission
to access that directory on the server).

Any ideas? I'm trying to set up the most easily manageable arrangement
posible. Thanks.

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/