Re: [TCLUG:10256] Cheap PCs, the sequel - Linux Router Project

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

> >LRP is not the most "user-friendly" linux distribution, and I did
> >experience some frustrations setting it up (inadequate documentation,
> >bogus nameserver entries in the default /etc/resolv.conf file).
> >Nonetheless, it seems like one of the better options for setting up a
> >firewall on a home network.
>         I actually thought some parts of it were rather good. the scripts
> set up for menuing basic tasks were very helpful. (don'cha wish all menuing
> systems were that good?)
>         on the other hand, I did have a PITA working with kernel modules for
> it. (didn't have another machine with the right kernel version). so I gave
> up on it.

I just setup another kernel and do 'make zImage modules', which does not
install the kernel, but does compile it and the modules.  You do have to
funk around with some of that stuff by hand, tho, to make such a kernel
work, but it is a necessity on boxen which do not have space for a
compiler / source, or for emergency rescue disks.

> it does some nifty stuff tho. I know someone who configured theirs to take
> down the external network interface, unless someone was trying to access
> outwards; thus making an uncrackable machine while no one was using it. :)

That sounds useful.

-Chris