Re: [TCLUG:10256] Cheap PCs, the sequel - Linux Router Project

> >LRP is not the most "user-friendly" linux distribution, and I did
> >experience some frustrations setting it up (inadequate documentation,
> >bogus nameserver entries in the default /etc/resolv.conf file).
> >Nonetheless, it seems like one of the better options for setting up a
> >firewall on a home network.
>         I actually thought some parts of it were rather good. the scripts
> set up for menuing basic tasks were very helpful. (don'cha wish all menuing
> systems were that good?)

The menuing system is nice, especially the mechanism for storing .lrp (.tgz)
"packages" on the floppy disk.  My main headaches came from dealing with the
/etc/network.conf and /etc/resolv.conf files;  I ended up setting
DIRECT_SETTINGS_ONLY=YES and putting all the networking setup commands
(ifconfig, route, ipfwadm, ipportfw) into /etc/network_direct.conf.

>         on the other hand, I did have a PITA working with kernel modules for
> it. (didn't have another machine with the right kernel version). so I gave
> up on it.

Modmaker is back up and running:

    http://www.linuxrouter.org/modmaker/

Joel