Backspace key problem!!!

How do I fix backspace key as it does the following in Redhat 6.0 Gnome and
24 bit color with high resolution setting?

When it works:

-To delete highlighted text in SpaceStar, Netscape email composer, etc.
-To delete space and text to the right of the cursor just like the delete
key.
-In the dialogue box to type in password in order to turn off screen saver.
-In a terminal window to backspace and delete previous text to the left of
the cursor.
-Outside of Xwindows

When it does not work:

-In any other situation when trying to backspace in order to delete previous
text to
   the left of the cursor.

Does this relate to 24 bit color setting causing Netscape's tool bar and
bottom icons to
only display in black and white?  I understand they are in color if I went
to 16 bit
color.

Mark J