Re: [TCLUG:10325] IBM Hard Disks

On Sun, 21 Nov 1999, Troy Johnson wrote:

> I have a few questions about IBM IDE hard disks for those of you who
> have owned/used them:
>
> Are they reliable?
> Are they quiet (compared to others)?

The IDE bit doesn't matter. SCSI and IDE disks have the same parts, just
a different interface.

I have an IBM UltraStor 9GB u2w LVD* disk, which I bought because my
friend Randy told me IBM was good. His old job was writing software to
control RAID arrays, and he got to watch many, many hard disks get tested
to death. The ones that died least were IBM and Seagate.

*Of course, I have it on my narrow Ultra disk controller, so I don't see
the full performance potential of the disk. :(

--
  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/