tftp problems

Hello,
  I'm attempting to set up a tftp server for managing  Cisco IOS
microcode and router configurations. I have no problems with executing
'get' commands. But when I try to 'put' a file to the server I get a
"file not found" error if there is not a file of the same name already
on the server. If the file already exists, the 'put' proceeds with out
error. So the bottom line is that the server will only let me overwrite
a file and not create a new one. In attempts to troubleshoot the
problem, I'm running the in.tftpd daemon as root, and the tftp directory
is 777.  This set up is in an isolated test lab so I don't really care
how secure it is. I just want it to work like ftp does. Or is this
working as tftp should work. Any help out there.

    -Scott Donoho
       losdios@hotmail.com