Digital Cameras & CompactFlash

Have any of you using digital cameras tried using a PCMCIA converter
card that lets you use a compactflash card as more or less an
ATA-compliant device? I used that when I got my Kodak dc215, and when i
picked up a 20MB flash card the serial downloading times were just
horrendous... but using one of those adapters (which, for the adapter,
an AC adapter for the camera, an 8mb flash card, and a carrying case
cost me 69 bucks at Staples) it takes mere seconds to transport
anything. I also found it handy for transporting files, as most systems
tend to just see it as a device with a file system on it (admittedly,
under windows. hard to avoid in the workplace sometimes.)

I do think this might work under Linux, too- I have used various SRAM
and ATA-flash type memory cards under linux without any kind of
problems. I guess it would all depend on you having a laptop w/ linux,
or a PC w/ a pcmcia slot; but if you have access, and can afford it,
give it a shot- at worst, you could just bring it back to the store :)
but it might work fantastically for you, and really, the transfer times
(again, under windows) for 20MB of pix was roughly 25 seconds or so.
pretty nifty. my 2 cents.

-Eric Gjerde