Testing internet connection reliability

I'm starting to play with my new DSL, running qmail and Apache servers...
Even have a domain or two of my own.  I would like to be able to provide
e-mail forwarding for my friends and maybe host their personal sites.
However, I'm a little nervous about the reliability of my internet
connection.  Is there some sort of script or program that will test it at
regular intervals (maybe pinging a reliable host) and log the results?

I imagine I could patch something together to ping Yahoo! or something but
I'm sure there are more variables to consider then I've thought of...

Thanks,
Ben

The phrasing, style, and content of this message are the sole property of
Ben Beuchler, Inc. and may not be reproduced in any way, shape or form
without the written consent Ben Beuchler Enterprises.  All rights reserved.
Void where prohibited by law.  Do not remove under penalty of law.  Do not
spindle or fold.  Not valid in Alaska, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.