Re: [TCLUG:8925] ip masquerading help

Amy Tebbe wrote:

> How do you know the 2 computers can't see each other.  Have you
> tried pinging or tracerouting from your mandrake box to your debian
> box?  What are the results.

I followed specifically the "tests" in the HOWTO.

{Mandrake Box}
ping 192.168.0.1 - nothing

ping 192.168.0.0 - yes

ping 192.168.0.2 - yes

192.168.0.1 is the IP of eth1 in my Debian box. Is this wrong?

> Note: if you want the debian box on the Internet, one of the NIC
> cards needs to have a routable IP - currently they both have
> non-routable IPs.

The Debian box is on the internet via a Mediaone Cable Modem. Which I
assume gives me a dynamic IP when I "dial up"

> Basic question: are you sure they are physically connected appropriately
> (the 192.168.0.2 nic should be connected to the same hub as your
> mandrake box).

I connect eth0 to the cable modem and eth1 directly to the Mandrake
box's eth0.

--
Dave Erickson
Remove "xxx" from address to reply