RE: [TCLUG:8945] Installfest was great

This is in response to Joel Koepp's comments on Linux.

One thing that everyone needs to remember is that Windows' "ease of use"
features can be divided into
three categories:

1) Things that have become easier to use in the last four years
2) Things that are easier to use only because people are familiar with them.
3) Things that are easier to use because the environment is so
heterogeneous.

Linux has come a long way towards matching #1 in the last two years.  We now
have graphical versions of most common utilities, graphical installs,
relatively easy networking setup, etc.  I expect that progress to continue
quickly enough that if we don't match Win2000 at its release, we will
definitely surpass is while it's the standard.

The only answer to #2 is to give people enough incentive to switch.  There's
going to be a learning curve switching from one operating system to another.
One solution, of course, is to have similarly behaving components available
for those who wants them.  I consider KDE a good example of this--without
sacrificing any potential features.

The third issue is a little more complicated.  Choice confuses people.  The
idea of having four (five, six?) completely disparate desktop environments
on one operating system confuses the hell out of people.  The concept of
having a near-infinite number of ways to accomplish a single task leaves
people with slack-jaw.  In other words, the very reason we love Linux is the
reasons it may not be suitable for certain people.  But on the other hand,
just as we don't need to know every way to do something, a beginning user
doesn't need to know more than one.

Yes, it is true that Linux isn't for everyone.  Nothing, however, prevents
it from being that way.

Jer Smith