Re: [TCLUG:8548] WinLinux 2000?

Well, here are my initial observations...Keep in mind I've spent very little
time with it at present...

1)  Aside from a big download (140MB) the typical install  pretty big too
(850MB).  There are also Full and Compact installs, I'll get the numbers on
those later...

The installer is easy to use, as it will not allow one to choose what packages
to install or anything.  So, installs go without a hitch, until it comes to
detecting hardware, on my box it had a bit of trouble with the ATI RAGE PRO
vid card, but did fine with everything else, and it allows you to easily force
the value of the hardware.

2)  I've not yet found any GUI network setup apps, but its in KDE, and I'm not
too familiar with that.

3)  Logout -  Choosing 'Shutdown' from {Shutdown, shutdown and restart, restart
X server} seems to hang the machine.  The other options work correctly.

=====

All in all, not too bad.  I'm not yet aware of how configurable it is(can I drop
KDE and put in WM instead?), but it is not horribly slow(considering it runs
from DOS Protected Mode, and not by itself...)

It looks like a pretty good system to get used to using linux with, what with
KDE, and not having to repartition the drive and all, though the disk reqs are
pretty severe....Perhaps networking stuff doesn't come with 'typical' and I have
to install the FULL package...

Any takers?  Anybod think its worth putting up?