Re: [TCLUG:8981] FTP Install

On Tue, 5 Oct 1999, Mandar Vaze wrote:

> After un-successfully trying to install Mandrake 6.1
> from the CD I got from installfest (Apparently CD was
> bad, 3 people who used the same image ran into similar
> problems, with setup of X) I'm going to try to do a
> ftp install from

Unfortunately, I think I got a bad copy of the iso image. Interestingly,
using one of the CDs for an update worked, but then some other CDs
couldn't do a full install. Weird.

> ftp.linuxberg.com/pub/distributions/Mandrake/Mandrake/6.1

Check the Mandrake mirror list at
http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ftp.php3

> Here are my questions :
>
> 1. It is possible to do ftp install using DSL ? (will
> the speed be issue ?)

Shouldn't be any problem. One thing I've observed is that sometimes the
ftp connection times out, and this can cause problems. Typically for an
ftp install, you make the ftp connection and download the list of
packages, install script, etc., and then you partition and format your
drive. Unfortunately, by the time your drive is formated and you're ready
to download the rest of the software, the ftp connection is lost and the
first few packages fail to download properly, often resulting in a failed
install. I'm not sure how to fix it. Anybody have any ideas?

> 2. Can anyone suggest a faster/better ftp site for
> mandrake distibution ?

See mirror list.

> 3. This may be for tim wilson, Is the image at this
> site (u gave me this site during installfest) OK ?
> Did the FTP install for frank(?) went thru without
> problems ?

Frank and I had the exact problem I described above. He's going to give it
another shot at home. I was really bummed that he walked away from the
InstallFest without a working Linux system, but I'm sure he learned some
things too, and I think he'll be able to do it on his own.

Later,
Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/