Re: [TCLUG:8991] Remote X from Windows

You can connect directly to the X server, but that's not really a
security-conscious move,  Use an SSH client to connect to the X-Windows
machine from the NT machine.  Enable X11 forwarding in the SSH client from
the X Server machine to your NT machine and tell the local X-Server to get
requests from the loopback device.  That way, all X11 traffic travels over
the encrypted connection to your display and cannot be easily sniffed by
outsiders.

Most X Windows / OpenWindows connections are made on port 6000 and up of
the host machine.  The host machine broadcasts that availability to anyone
within an earshot, allowing them to make connections to the X server.
What's more, keystroke and other information may be captured by remotely
sniffing those ports.  Do the right thing and either block connections to
port 6000 with a packet filter like ipchains or disable "Chooser
Broadcast" and other connection requests inside your x/k/gdm
configuration.

As mentioned above, you can always forward X11 traffic over the SSH
connection and use X11 apps under the local windows X server with a
relatively high level of security.

Peter Lukas