Re: [TCLUG:8991] Remote X from Windows

I apologize, I forgot to mention that this is my home network.  At this point and time, I don't have always up access (cable modem or DSL) to the box.  I just not a big telnet fan and I hate to be constantly switching boxes through my Belkin Omnicube.

--

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999 10:21:28    Peter Lukas wrote:
>You can connect directly to the X server, but that's not really a
>security-conscious move,  Use an SSH client to connect to the X-Windows
>machine from the NT machine.  Enable X11 forwarding in the SSH client from
>the X Server machine to your NT machine and tell the local X-Server to get
>requests from the loopback device.  That way, all X11 traffic travels over
>the encrypted connection to your display and cannot be easily sniffed by
>outsiders.
>
>Most X Windows / OpenWindows connections are made on port 6000 and up of
>the host machine.  The host machine broadcasts that availability to anyone
>within an earshot, allowing them to make connections to the X server.
>What's more, keystroke and other information may be captured by remotely
>sniffing those ports.  Do the right thing and either block connections to
>port 6000 with a packet filter like ipchains or disable "Chooser
>Broadcast" and other connection requests inside your x/k/gdm
>configuration.

So by default, is my Linux box (RH 6.0) "broadcasting" whereby all I have to do is select XDCMP broadcast inside Starnet and point it at my Linux box or do I have to turn it on somehow?