Re: tclug-list Digest 7 Oct 1999 13:27:29 -0000 Issue 429

> Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 23:12:51 -0500
> From: Dave Erickson <gsa700xxx@mediaone.net>
> To: lug <tclug-list@mn-linux.org>
> Subject: Scanners and Linux
>
> I recently got a used UMAX Astra 600S and I was wondering if anyone has
> had luck getting one to work. The SANE webpage says it supported but
> there is some evidence that I will need a different SCSI card than the
> one that came with the scanner. {I have no idea what card it is, it has
> no markings of any kind visable to me and I have no documentation on the
> scanner or the card.}
>
> I realize this is a very broad question but any suggestions would be
> appreciated.
>
> You'd really make my day if you could tell me something about my SCSI
> card :-)

As it happens, I have a Umax 600S sitting right here. I have not tried to
get it running under Linux yet. (I'm still having trouble with my 3dfx
Voodoo3 2000 video card.)

The SCSI controller is a Umax Data Systems UDS-IS11 SCSI controller. The
controller chip is made by DTC Data Technology (datatechnology.com) and
the card appears to be made by DTC for Umax, but from DTC's very limited
web site, it looks like an OEM part that they do not sell.

However, it looks very close to the DTC 3510A, which is NOT on the
Hardware HOWTO, but DTC says the card is 100% compatible with the Adaptec
AHA-1510, and that is on the list.

This SCSI controller has NO internal connections, and a DB-25 external
connector, so you will only be able to use it with this scanner.

I do not use this card. I have an Adaptec AHA-2930 and bought a cable at
Best Buy (3 feet for $35!). Any PCI controller that uses DMA will give
better performance at lower CPU use than any PIO controller.

Good luck,
Chris Schumann <whizkid@dwave.net>

"I am a cipher, wrapped in an enigma, smothered in secret sauce."
  - Jimmy James, News Radio