Re: [TCLUG:9131] enlightenment 0.16

"John R. Sheets" wrote:

> On Oct 12, 1999, Christopher McKinley <lamfada@lugh.net> wrote:
> >
> > 2) GNOME panel and gmc home dir link are no longer sticky, and there is
> > no obvious mechanism to make them sticky.
>
> How do you mean?  I'm running E CVS from 5 days ago, and GNOME CVS from
> a week or two ago, and the panel works fine for me.  It appears on every
> desktop.  If you Alt+Right Click on the panel, you'll get a menu which
> includes "Stick/Unstick".
>
> It might be a problem with startup order.  If the panel starts up before
> the (GNOME-compliant) window manager, it will try to manage itself,
> rather than taking hints from E.  So make sure E is running before the
> panel.

Ah, that must be it.  I have the order of gmc, panel, e.  The Alt+RClick
just brought up the GNOME menu.

> > 3) Epplets: I have seen references to them, and descriptions, and
> > supposedly some exist, but where the hell can I find them?
>
> Can't, yet.  They are very, very new.  Kind of a post-0.16/pre-0.17
> feature.  Something should be out pretty soon, though.

Bummer.

> > 4) Raster and Mandrake are reinventing the wheel.  I like the wheel,
> > though, but it can not totally replace GNOME or KDE yet (Epplets?).
>
> Depends on which wheel you're talking about.  GNOME sometimes
> tresspasses in WM territory, just as E trespasses in application
> territory at times.
>
> And don't forget that GNOME is a desktop environment on one hand, but on
> the other, it is also a development environment.  E will never provide
> an API for application development.
>
> Was there a specific wheel you're concerned about?

Good point.  My wheel was the whole desktop-environment wheel, which
both GNOME and KDE do well enough.  I was mostly being a little flippant
though, because I really like E.  In fact, I think that E is much more
organic feeling than either GNOME or KDE because of the way it has been
developed incrementally.  This has really upped the feedback cycle
between the users and developers, and has resulted in some features that
I am using more than a lot of the GNOME features that I am used to.  It
also helps that Raster & Mandrake knew when to say enough, and
integrated with the GNOME / KDE APIs rather than building their own.  I
just did another round of wm trials just before DR16 was officially
released, and for all of its quirks, I found that it not only had the
most features that I use, but I really like using it compared to all of
the others.  I guess I am going to be one of those people who "festers"
around Raster. ;)

-Chris

--
| Chris McKinley           | http://lugh.net  |