Re: [TCLUG:9184] JitterBug vs Bugzilla

On Oct 14, 1999, Smith Jeremy <jrsmit2@uswest.com> wrote:
> Anyone want to compare and contrast Jitterbug and Bugzilla?

Sorry, don't know anything about Jitterbug, aside from the
fact that the GNOME project dumped it in favor of Debian's
bug tracking system.

Bugzilla is just a bunch of Perl/CGI scripts, plus a database.
You'll need a bunch of Perl modules for interfacing with the
database (mSQL or mySQL), which in my experience is the worst
part.  If you're good at scrounging up Perl modules off CPAN
(I think it's easier on Debian), it won't be too much work.
The other pain is configuring the database.  Bugzilla comes
with a bunch of shell scripts for autogenerating the SQL
tables, though, which makes it fairly straightforward.  The
second time through, anyway.  (c:

Bugzilla has a handful of administrative CGI web pages, where
you can setup stuff like the banner text, and base URL's and
such.  It's kinda clunky to administrate sometimes, but once
you get it going, it's pretty slick.  Just about everything
is through a web page.

Incidentally, if you're ever thinking of setting up Bonsai,
both use a lot of the same components (Perl, SQL, etc.), so
that if you've got one setup, the other will be a snap to get
going.

If you decide to make the plunge, I'd be glad to help.  I've
had the dubious pleasure of setting up both Bugzilla and
Bonsai.

I've heard the Debian bug tracking system is very good, too.
You can have a look at it at http://bugs.gnome.org/ and
http://www.debian.org/Bugs/

John