Unsent Message Returned to Sender

Notice to Sender
================

This message was received by this installation but could not be
delivered to its intended cc:Mail recipient(s).

  Original subject: [TCLUG:9215] bash config files on Slackware

Intended recipient(s) who DID NOT receive this message:

  kyle.johnson..@ccmail.reliastar.com

The following cc:Mail error(s) were recorded:

  ***  Message recipient is unknown  ***

-------- Original Message Text --------
After having my hand held by RedHat, I figured it was time to jump off the deep
end and try Slackware 4.0.  It's running quite nicely and it's CERTAINLY not
holding my hand!

However, I seem to be having some difficulty with the normal shell config
scripts.  To start with, ~/.bashrc wouldn't be processed unless I added it to
/etc/profile.  Isn't that supposed to be run whether /etc/profile exists or
not?  It certainly wasn't called by /etc/profile in Red Hat.

Second, I'm getting some strange environment settings of which I cannot find
the source (some aliases and environment variables like PS1).  They are not set
in /etc/profile or my .bashrc and .bash_profile doesn't even exist!

Are there any other files that are executed at the start up of bash that could
be messing things up?  I've even tried switching to /etc and running "grep
alias *" and haven't found the offending scripts...

Confused,
Ben