Re: [TCLUG:9375] newbie kernel questions...

RedHat uses some rather unorthodox practices with their kernel
distribution packages.  Their init scripts depend on the .rhkmvtag to tell
things like modprobe, depmod, etc where to find the modules they need.
It's more handy when you're running 2 kernels, or upgrade a kernel and
have the old modules left over.

Peter Lukas