Sound Woes

Just did an install of Mandrake 6.1 on my home system, which is sporting
Creative Labs SB PCI128 as its soundcard.  When I run sndconfig, it
probes and
finds an ES1371 audio device (which AFAIK is the correct device for a
SB128),
however, sndconfig then hangs when attempting to play the test sound and
I am
forced to kill out of it.  Looking at /proc/pci shows that the sound
card is
supposedly there, but /dev/sndstat reports "No such device".  When I try
to manually
set up the soundcard using pnpdump and isapnp, pnpdump reports "no
boards found".
Does anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

Thanks,

Brian

--
Brian Strassman - brian@iproduction.com - Internet Production Inc.