Re: [TCLUG:9375] newbie kernel questions...

>There are detailed instructions at
>http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe/linux/kernel-compile.html
        ok. I guess the step I was missing was 'make bzImage' rather than
'make zImage'.
        I don't remember ever seeing that anywhere; that one needs bzImage
for 2.2 kernels.
        who do I complain to, to add that into the kernel compile doco? (or
where can I help revise the doco to include that bit of troubleshooting info?)

wonder of wonders, it boots! :) (boots really fast, no less.)
2 problems:
        only one of the ethernet interfaces will come up (eth0). it says
"delaying eth1 initialization". I can't even get it to come up after boot
(tried typing 'ifup eth1", and it gives me the same error). I compiled the
3c509 driver directly into the kernel (not as a module). do I somehow have
to put it in twice? (both cards are 3c509s). (doesn't seem reasonable, there
must be a better way).

        what does the devpts filesystem do? looks like I didn't include
support for that, and it complains at boot time. there's no man page for it,
and man -k doesn't find anything.

thanks,
Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.