Re: [TCLUG:9398] Samba and guest shares using VFAT

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I was wondering if anybody has managed to share data on a VFAT partion
> using a Samba (2.0.5a) share.  The problem I am having is that when I mount
> the VFAT partion under /storage, it mounts rw only for root.  I have set the
> permissions for the world on /storage, but the permissions are reset when it
> is mounted.  Thus, a guest user on samba can not write to the share, only
> read.  I have samba set up correctly - to the best of my knowledge.  If
> somebody wants to see my smb.conf file, I can send it tonight.  However, I
> believe the problem to be the mount permissions.  I have tried mounting
> using a specified uid/gid to no avail.  Any ideas?
>
> Tom Veldhouse
> veldy@visi.com

Try mounting like this
mount -t vfat -o umask=0000 /dev/whatever /storage

Without that, the mount uses the umask of the current process.  This is a
fat/vfat-only feature.  Check the man page for mount, and look at the
options for fat and vfat.

Chris