Re: [TCLUG:9393] Sound Woes

I have similar woes with my pci128/es1371.  I use redhat 6.  I didn't have
these problems with 5.2.

1.  If I enable sound in enlightenment, all audio breaks.  I can't get any
noise besides a system beep.  I've tried restarting sound, and rerunning
sndconfig to no avail.  I disable sound in enlightenment, reboot, rerun
sndconfig, and all is well.

2.  If I enable sound in gnome, I get all the little beeps and boops, but
xmms locks up if I try to play something.  mpg123 works fine though.
argc.  If I then disable sound in gnome, just to see if I can then use
xmms, no go.  If I then re-enable sound in gnome, all sound breaks except
mpg123.  Can't use sox, or cdplay or anything except mpg123 to get noise.
I then proceed to diable sound in gnome, reboot etc.

If I try to run sndconfig while sound is broken, it just hangs while
trying to play the sound.  So I've decided that redhat + gnome +
enlightenment + pci128 != working.

Also, I don't have /dev/sndstat or /proc/sound.  I wish I did because some
packages (for .wav editing and such) I'd like to install want the info
that should be there.  I'm thinking redhat (mandrake) does something
non-standard as far as audio goes.  Of course I may be wrong.

I've tried usinf MAKEDEV audio to no avail.  Still get "/dev/sndstat: No
such device".

I'd love to hear from anybody who has any idea as to what the heck is
going on.  For now I live with sound disabled in enlightenment and gnome,
but everything else works fine

Thanks!
.ryan