Re: [TCLUG:9416] MediaOne Roadrunner and Linux (fwd)

The attitude that some how debian is better is the real problem.

It is this attitude I am fighting...  And if this continues, it
will probably dramatically hurt the future of linux overall.
They are all basically just Linux.. I have used most of the
distributions:
	slackware
	redhat
	Debian
	SuSE
	OpenLinux - Caldera
	TurboLinux - Pacific HiTech

	And the redhat clones:
	   - mandrake
	   - linuxone
	   - stampede

        And freebsd, BSDi, netbsd, OpenBSD
	And Irix, Solaris, Unicos, AIX, etc..etc..etc..

  1. Yes the packaging may have some better features, however
     most distributions use it..
  2. RPM does check to see if there are conflicts..
     RPM does post cleanup/setup if the RPM is correctly created.

Don't deceive yourself, debian is not more pure than Redhat, RedHat
GPLs everything they make, they work with the community, they are
willing to change things.  Also Corel is involved in the Debian
commercialization now.

Debian is boxing and sending out commercial versions with commercial
support.  Granted this is through VA Linux (and co-sponsored by SGI)
along with the phone support.  Yes it is different but Debian is no
more pure than any other company that gives away all the software
that they write.

I don't recommend Debian due to the holier than though attitude
I continually see from the users.

The question is, is debian willing to work with RedHat to work on
a single packaging system format?

And tar/tar.gz is not a 'packaging system', it is merely the unix
archiving method, not meant as a packaging system.

Mark