Re: [TCLUG:9472] bios

Quoting Christopher Reid Palmer (reid@pconline.com):

> 1. Production servers should be untouchable. Unless you have some kind of
> redundant failover cluster thing happening, do not turn your box off.

  Sure in a perfect world, but....

  redundant failover = $$$$$ and my company != $$$$$ then reboot box.

> 2. CPU speed is almost never the limiting factor in computer performance,
> especially if the one you already have is a Pentium 450. The upgrade from
> one to two processors does help, though, especially for applications like
> Apache (since it forks off many children).

  Actually, the main reason for the cpu upgrade is to support our production
Oracle database.  Our database is crushing the performance of our webserver.
And yes, at some point I will move the database off our production web server.
But until then, do the windows thing and throw more hardware at the problem. :)

--
Joseph A. Heil, Jr.                  heilja@varsityonline.com
VarsityOnline                        http://www.varsityonline.com