Re: [TCLUG:9573] RPM vs the world (was Re: [TCLUG:9416])

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, ^chewie wrote:

> I love this kind of assumptive email.  It only proves the power of
> marketing.

No, I am not copying Red Hat press releases and sending them as posts to
the list. People like to treat RPM as if it were .cab, and I will defend
it since it's a good, useful and free program.

> But saying that "the community" has chosen RPM is a blindly faithful
> statement.

People vote with their dollars. RPM-based distribtutions do *extremely*
well, let's just leave it at that.

> But all of this is moot.  Who gives a damn what package system you use
> or what distribution you use?  I will second the notion brought up by
> one of the other list members.  The LSB will be a welcome addition to
> the Linux "community."  Having a standard file system and a standard
> system initilization scheme will make incompatibility problems between
> packaging systems a thing of the past, or at least a problem of much
> smaller scope. :)

This thread began when someone (I forget who) was whining about Red Hat's
commercial success, and how that was bad for Linux. I agree that
distribution does not matter, and that open standards do. RPM is open, and
it is (at least somewhat) a de facto standard.

--
  Christopher Reid Palmer : http://www.innerfireworks.com/