Re: [TCLUG:9573] RPM vs the world (was Re: [TCLUG:9416])

On Sat, 30 Oct 1999, Christopher Reid Palmer wrote:

> People vote with their dollars.

Pardon, this really doesn't have to do with the RPM debate.

The notion that people vote with their dollars is a weak and dangerous
argument, and one that I don't like much, for three reasons:

1:  There are many uninformed people with lots of money who buy things
they don't really need, and therefore pollute the pool, as it were.

2:  I don't like a "democratic" system where the eligibility requirement
for voting (money) is unrelated to the issue being decided (performance /
engineering success.)

3:  It's dangerous to assume that every dollar spent is a vote
cast.  I can think of lots of dollars I've had to spend under duress.

Anyway, sorry to waste the bandwidth, and it doesn't change anyone's
viewpoints (all valid) about RPMs, etc.  Just a nit I needed to pick on a
Sunday morning when I guess I didn't have anything better to make Linux
do..<g>

Cheers,
Phil

--