Re: [TCLUG:9589] Diamond RIO, MP3 ripper and linux

Quite right.  Raw ripped source is bit-for-bit duplication of whatever was
on the original cd.  A MP3 encoder takes that information and compresses
it using a number of techniques.  A typical near-CD quality MP3 is encoded
at 44Khz 128-bit stereo.   This is nearly identical to the encoding onto
the original CD itslef.

I use audiocatalyst under windows for my ripping / encoding.  It does a
pretty good job.  The encoder is Xing's and at some point, I'll be
dropping the $20 and adding it to GRIP's primary MP3 encoder under linux.

The sweet spot I've found is to encode at 44Khz (can't really do much
better than the original source anyway) 128-bit joint stereo.  It produces
a near 10-1 ratio in file size, and the joint stereo doesn't produce any
serious audible differences between the original and the encoded version
of the sample.

Joint stereo takes the higher frequencies of the sample from both left &
right channles and merges them onto a single (mono) channel.  Your ears
aren't really sensitive enough to determine the difference.  It also makes
the compressed file a little smaller than if it were encoded in plain
stereo.

With BladeEnc's encoder, 128 bit 44Khz samples didn't sound anywhere
near as good as the original sample and not close to as good as a sample
encoded with Xing's encoder.

Peter Lukas