RE: [TCLUG:8080] Lotus Notes ported to Linux

I do not see why having windows clients on the desktop would restrict your
organization from using Lotus Domino Server for Linux.  Your win clients
will be able to talk directly to the Linux server as they would a NT
server, and it should be transparent to the user.  You existing
applications can be placed on the domino linux box and run without
modification (this has been the case with all the apps I have transferred
and tested).  I can imagine some instances where problems might arise,
perhaps if you use third party applications for things like database
connection, etc.

If the admin is responsible for only Domino administration under Linux,
then it should be a very quick learning curve (i say this from personal
experience).  However, If that admin is responsible for the entire
maintenance of the Linux OS as well, then this is a different story and
could require training.

Right now, the performance enhancements that everyone is saying will come
from running Domino on Linux as opposed to NT have yet to be realized.
 Many of the messages in the Notes.Net forum from users testing Domino
Linux are claiming that performance (mail routing and database performance)
is anywhere from 3-5 times worse than under NT.  I'm keeping my fingers
crossed that this is a result of the server being in an beta (alpha?) stage
and that once the server is released for production, they will have ironed
out the performance problems.

I agree with everyone about the Linux Client though - why Lotus would
release a linux server without an appropriate linux client is beyond me.
 If anything, an R5 client for Linux with POP3 support has the potential to
push the Linux OS onto the desktop more than any other application out
there (besides an office suite, and we have good ones for that already).

This is one of the most exciting product releases for Linux I have seen
yet, and if Iris can boost the performance, then it could have the power to
drive Linux into the enterprise arena.  I think it becomes even more viable
when you consider the number of major vendors (especially database vendors)
who have started to release enterprise scale applications (like DB2,
Oracle, Sybase, etc).   Do I sound excited?  LOL!

Michael Munnis