Re: [TCLUG:8065] .muttrc macro and dot-files

On Sep 02, 1999, "Joel A. Koepp" <jkoepp@gustavus.edu> wrote:

> I'm in the process of transitioning to mutt from Netscrape for my mail. I really
> dig it so far and I've got a boatload of example muttrc's lying around to aid me
> in my quest for the ultimate configuration.

Hey, cool.  I've done the same, and am pretty happy so far.  Between
mutt, fetchmail, and procmail, you can do just about anything.  Now,
if only someone had a good GUI mailer with the same capabilities as
Mutt.

> Before I try to write one of my own, does anyone have a nifty macro for the
> index to mark all messages as read? As I copy over my mailbox files for testing,
> I've noticed that many of the messages have the "New" flag when of course I've
> read them all.

Sure.  I have a couple.  The 'Z' macro "zaps" all unread messages,
setting them all to unread.  The 'z' macro zaps all unread messages
older than a day.  So, if you want to clean up your old messages
without touching the newer ones, you can use the lower-case 'z'.

macro index z T"~U ~d >1d"<enter>\;N^T*<enter>
macro index Z T~U<enter>\;N^T*<enter>

Not real purty, but they work.  Check out the ~d option for more
insight on tweaking the age parameter.  Here's a couple others I
use to distinguish the relative ages of my unread mail:

color index white red ~U
color index brightwhite red "~U ~d <2d"
color index brightyellow red "~U ~d <1d"

This basically changes the text color of unread messages, depending
on how old they are: brightyellow for one day, brightwhite for two
days, and normal white for all the rest.  Oh, and order does matter
for the color declarations.

Have fun, and feel free to pass on whatever you find.

John