RE: [TCLUG:8102] GNOME/KDE applets for network bandwidth monitoring?

> Anyone know of a good applet to paste to my panel that would
> monitor network
> traffic on an Ethernet segment?

This is not a panel applet ... but i use 'pload' which is pretty
customizable.  The best part is a stripchart that's actually more than just
eye candy.  You can adjust the scale, so that for ppp you might use a scale
of 1024 bytes.  For DSL, i now use 5120 bytes to monitor my eth0.  And you
can monitor any network interface in /proc/net/device. It's a little low
tech (uses X11 Athena Widget for stripchart, i think), but makes up for it
by being useful.

IMHO, the problem with panel applet monitors is that they're more gimmick
and less info.  WindowMaker dock apps are bearable because they're a decent
size to actually be useful.

My $0.02.

-Unni