Interphase to open source drivers

        when I was at HPWorld, I asked just about every vendor out there
whether there was Linux support for their product. Interphase had some
pretty neat NICs; and they mentioned they were thinking about Linux drivers
for their products.
        I just called Interphase corp. this morning; asking about Linux
drivers for their ATM products (I think we'll need to hook up to Buffalo's
ATM MAN sometime in the next year). the salesperson said that they were
working on Linux drivers for all their products; and that she'd get in touch
with the devel ppl about the status of those. I talked to her about the
advantages of open-sourcing those drivers; and she said that she'd had
several calls on that subject.
        she just gave me a call back and said that the ATM drivers are ready
for Linux; and that they *are open source*! so good news for the OSS
community; and good news to anyone who needs networking hardware for 'odder'
platforms.
        so in case I decide on an OpenBSD firewall instead of a Linux
firewall; I can (hopefully) get that supported/working as well. :)

the local sales rep for Interphase is a John Anderson (physically in Dallas,
TX);
# 214-654-5000
or their 800 # is 1-800-FASTNET

seems like a pretty cool company; i'll certainly look at using their products.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com		(612) 682-1091