RE: [TCLUG:8080] Lotus Notes ported to Linux

        the rest of your comments are valid criticisms, IMHO (even though I
may have some disagreements with them); and I won't gainsay them here. this
one I severely disagree with:

Schoenhofen, Kelly wrote:
>I get the feel that Lotus staked the wrong attitude on Linux - they treat
>Linux like it's another *nix server/high end workstation emerging from the
>crowd, and it's not.
        I do believe that it is indeed a *nix server/workstation OS.
        no, it won't do 512 processors like IRIX will... *yet*. I belive
Linux will crush all other Unices for anything smaller than 8 processors,
within the next 5 years. (in terms of actual deployment; not just
capability). the only serious competitors to it will be the *BSDs; and we're
better off treating them as friends/cousins/brothers-in-arms than actively
competing against them.
        I think IBM is being forward-thinking here; and driving the market,
rather than just following it. admittedly it's for their own gain; but it
benefits us nonetheless. they're moving into a market where Micro$haft
doesn't yet have a foothold; doing the same thing as Corel and Sun. they're
trying to out-compete M$ by leaving them behind in a doomed technology.

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com		(612) 682-1091