Re: [TCLUG:8181] U S WEST "On Demand" DSL service. (was Questions to ask DSL provi ders)

Quoting Smith Jeremy (jrsmit2@uswest.com):
> You've got to remember that all ISP's oversubscribe modems and (correct me
> if I'm wrong, Bob, others?) that even the top-notch ISP's still do it
> roughly at 1 modem per 5 customers, while places like AOL are more like
> 1:20.

Yep, we all oversubscribe, Real Time sticks around 1 modem per 3 users. But
what I think is important is if an ISP running 95% utilization on their ATM
link AND busrsting is allowed from the MegaBit subscribers, then there is
potential saturation on the ATM link.

Since I have seen 256K DSL clients burst well above 1Mb, I'd say this is a
likely thing, until USW locks down the speeds.
--
Bob Tanner <tanner@real-time.com>       | Phone : (612)943-8700