Re: [TCLUG:8163] questions to ask DSL providers

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Bob Tanner wrote:

> This is a question so your ISP does not play games with you.
>
> The phrase static IP can be misleading. Most users thing static IP means you
> get the same IP everytime AND it is accessiable from the Internet.
>
> But your ISP could easily say you get a static IP, no additional charge and
> they just assign you the same 192.168.x.x IP and NAT for you. Yes, your IP is
> static, but no you do not get incoming traffic to your box, because something
> is in the middle NAT-ing for you.

OK, we are understanding each other. I do a similar thing on my LAN here
at school. I use DHCP to distribute IPs, but I also have an
/etc/dhcpd.conf file that gives the same IP to any given machine every
time. I agree with you, it's very convenient.

> So make sure you get a static IP and it is accessiable from the Internet.

You're right. That's a good distinction to make.

> I know it is splitting hairs, but I like using the terms dynamic IP or static
> IP, because dhcp is just a method of getting an IP, which could be static or
> dynammic.

Good point. Thanks.

-Tim

--
Timothy Wilson       | "The faster you  |  Check out:
Henry Sibley H.S.    |  go, the shorter | http://slashdot.org/