Re: [TCLUG:8187] what about that Cisco 675, anyway?

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Daniel M. Debertin wrote:

> Okay, now that we're all talking about DSL, here's my beef. Why is it that
> I can only get into my router from windows? I've spent hours with my
> serial port plugged into the Cisco's management port trying to cu out to
> that port, playing with stty and setserial, even trying minicom, bit to no
> avail. Oddly, all I have to do is boot windows and use any telnet app that
> can connect to a COM port, and I get a login prompt from it. As I am
> trying to find reasons to *not* boot into ... that OS, this *should* be
> possible under Linux, no?

I have no problems (except that I am running out of serial ports to hook
stuff up to ;).  I use minicom, BTW, and you need to set the speed to the
33xxx setting to get it to work, if I remember correctly.  Once you are
in, if you use PPP (that is, if your modem has an IP addr), setting it to
telnet will allow you or anyone to telnet in from outside as well, so make
certain that you set the password.  As a side note, having a netblock of 8
addresses (5 usable), I get scanned from time to time, and I have been
scanned from, for example, an ISDN modem user using Netcom out in sunny
CA.  They had no password on their modem, so I could have had some fun,
but I thought Netcom abuse would rather hear about it.

> Secondly, some of you may know that the Cisco 675 is not *specifically* a
> Cisco product. It was originally the NetSpeed SpeedRunner 204, until Cisco
> bought the company. Sadly, mine _says_ Cisco on it, but still contains
> NetSpeed's firmware, nsos. Should I/Can I upgrade this thing to cbos or
> whatever Cisco would use for it? Better to to play with it, I suppose...

I have an old NetSpeed, from last spring, and I was told that I "could not
upgrade it", which I do not believe, but if you call USWorst, they will
supposedly send you a new Cisco one with cbos and the works.  I just
borrowed a friends who moved out of range.

-Chris