RE: [TCLUG:8252] Port forwarding: ssh/ipchains

> Oh, now I see what you're saying.  I don't have any experience
> with the -L and -R options for ssh.  You could always try it to
> see if it'll work.  Perhaps someone else on the list has tried this?

I've never used ipchains, but i have used ssh with port forwarding to access
my company mail server from home.

I used this mini HOWTO to learn how to set it up.

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Secure-POP+SSH.html

It talks about forwarding pop server port.  My company uses an imap server.
It was just a matter of using port 143 instead of 110.  Similarly you can
forward any port and use it to tunnel any connection through a secure
channel.

HTH

-Unni