VMware filesystem

        I do not know how VMware represents itself on the disk; but I was
wondering if it would be possible to transparently map directories on the
VM, to directories on the Linux box it runs on?
        the thought I had, was that a single high-end Linux box could
provide computing power for a small workgroup; each person using "Windows95"
on their desktop, but actually running in a VM which automagically puts
their data (from the "My Documents" directory or wherever) on a RAID array
or SAN.
        the other nifty thing to do (if one wanted to spend the space &
computing power) would be to checkpoint the VMs (like IBM is able to do with
the x86 cards running on AS/400s); so when one of them crashes, we just
restart it from the last checkpoint. :) (of course, data concurrency might
then become a problem... it remains to be experimented with).

        anyone with a little more experience able to shed some light on the
subject?

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN