Re: [TCLUG:8294] VMware filesystem

On Wed, 15 Sep 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         the thought I had, was that a single high-end Linux box
> could provide computing power for a small workgroup; each person
> using "Windows95" on their desktop, but actually running in a VM
> which automagically puts their data (from the "My Documents"
> directory or wherever) on a RAID array or SAN.

I'm not sure how I could see this happening.  Would you be sending the
display output via X?  Wow, what a hack. :)  As far as transparent
mapping, couldn't you tweak out the "My Documents" folder in the
Windows registry to point to a Samba drive?  (Totally brainstorming
here.)

Basically, what you're talking about is creating your own Citrix
MetaFrame server.  Good luck :)

Later!

    ^chewie

| Chad Walstrom           mailto:chewie@wookimus.net |
| ICQ: 9985127           http://wookimus.net/~chewie |
 Need a new truck?  Check out my '97 Explorer 2-door
   Sport at http://wookimus.net/~chewie/truck.html