Re: [TCLUG:8394] More DSL/NIC help...

On Sun, 19 Sep 1999, Joe Laha wrote:

> Recently got my apartment wired for DSL. I'm now trying to get it
> working with Linux but I'm having trouble getting RH6 to recognize
> my NIC (I'm using a Linksys EtherPCI.) According to the documentation
> the module that works with the Linksys is tulip.0. I added tulip to
> the kernel using kernelcfg supplied it with the harware address (found
> using winipcfg under win98) restarted kerneld...and nothing. Usernet
> hangs up with trying to start the interface and ifconfig dosen't list
> eth0 as active...is there a step I'm leaving out? The official RH documenttation
> is woefully lacking on this sort of thing (At least the RH5.2 install guide is.)Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. Try recompiling the kernel. Reboot. I don't trust that kernelcfg stuff.
2. Try inserting the tulip module by hand (look at the 'insmod' man
page, and 'lsmod' and 'rmmod' as well).
3. Any hardware-level snafus? Someone I know had to set bus mastering on
in the BIOS before that very card would work for him.

-- Chris

  Christopher Reid Palmer : www.innerfireworks.com