Debian (was Re: [TCLUG:8408] local Mandrake mirror)

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Yaron wrote:

> I like Enlightenment as an idea, but it is SO bloated.
Agreed, but I still like using it :) Gnome+E does better than KDE
performance-wise on my K6-3/450. And I even have a crappy video card :)

> I tried to install debian a few days ago, just to see what it's like, and,
> not to start a flame war or anything, it annoyed th HECK out of me. Took
> me an hour just to get to the "Insert Second Floppy" part... I'm wondering
> ifthere's a "Fast Install" option.

Yes, there is: get/burn a CD set. This gives you (at least) 3 booting

o Boot from the CD which takes you right into the installer.
o Boot DOS (from HD or floppy, with CD drivers) and use the included
loadlin batch file to boot from CD (this may only be on the Cheapbytes
set, I forget exactly, but cheapbytes is a happy thing anyways, order CDs
from them :)
o Boot from a 2-floppy boot set (only one of which you actually have to
use if i remember correctly, i haven't done this in a while) and install
the base system and everything off the CD.

So any way you slice it, everything installs from CD and life is happy. If
you're still interested in installing Debian, keep talking to me. I've
been using it since v1.1 (2.5 yrs ago or so). I tend to be able to work
things out. (I've also helped a few other friends install Debian systems
and get them working properly. *nod* to the other two
Ringworld.Associates)

Debian has its annoyances, like anything else. But the install process
shouldn't be that painful (anymore -- I'm very glad I had Scott's help
(dieman@ringworld.org) on my first install of Debian 1.1 ;p ).

(Note: not intended as biting of not-intended-as-flamebait. Intended only
as a different, more cheery view of Debian, since I've had very good
experience with it.)

--Kevin R. Bullock

kbullock@ringworld.org | TheMystic@EFNet
krbullock@csbsju.edu   | Caoimhin@EFNet

"One World, one Web, one Program" - Microsoft promotional ad
"Ein Volk, ein Reich, ein Fuhrer" - Adolf Hitler