Re: [TCLUG:8408] local Mandrake mirror

  Hi,

On Mon, 20 Sep 1999, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:

>         what's the M6.1 install like? RH-copy again? or something new?
>         I hear that RH 6.1 will have a GUI install like Caldera's.

It's a RH copy. I tried to install Lorax (aka RH 6.1 beta), but i's a bit
braindead. The network bootdisk didn't enable PCMCIA, and the PCMCIA
didn't let me choose network install!

I thought Mandrake 6.1 was supposed to have a graphic install, too. Maybe
that only applies to local CDROM installs.

>         not really a KDE fan myself. I use FVWM/FVWM2/AfterStep at work
> (chosen mostly randomly; all I ever run is xterms), and wm2 on my Debian box
> at home. I think I favor GNOME over KDE for "fancy" environments; but not
> for any really good reason.

I like Enlightenment as an idea, but it is SO bloated.

I tried to install debian a few days ago, just to see what it's like, and,
not to start a flame war or anything, it annoyed th HECK out of me. Took
me an hour just to get to the "Insert Second Floppy" part... I'm wondering
ifthere's a "Fast Install" option.

-Yaron