Re: [TCLUG:8408] local Mandrake mirror

>I tried to install debian a few days ago, just to see what it's like, and,
>not to start a flame war or anything, it annoyed th HECK out of me. Took
>me an hour just to get to the "Insert Second Floppy" part... I'm wondering
>ifthere's a "Fast Install" option.
        my only debian install was done (just for perversity's sake)
entirely from floppies. installing from floppies is an enlightening
experience, and I heartily recommend it -- once. (as much for historical
perspective as anything. see what linux was like back in the (good?) old
days of 25-disk distros. ;)
        I thought the installer was very comparable to RH's; and while not
as simple as some have claimed ("you could teach a chicken to install it --
just peck <Enter>"), it was pretty nice.
        I kind of like the Debian distro; it may not have the latest kernel,
but it does seem pretty complete, and the dpkg system works pretty well. :)

Carl Soderstrom
System Administrator	307 Brighton Ave.
Minnesota DHIA		Buffalo, MN
carls@agritech.com	(612) 682-1091