enabling portforwarding

Hi,

I'm having some trouble getting ipmasqadm working. I can type in a rule,
and it seems to take okay. When I do a 'ipmasqadm portfw -l' I get the
message:

Could not open "/proc/net/ip_masq/portfw"
Could not open "/proc/net/ip_portfw"
Check if you have enabled portforwarding

I looked through Amy's HOWTO, and the 'ipmasqadm portfw -f' command
doesn't seem to do it. Is there something else I have to do to get it
enabled? The two files it's trying to open aren't even there.

I'm trying to get this going on a Slackware 4.0 machine with kernel
2.2.12. I thought I might've missed something last time I compiled the
kernel, so I tried going through that again and didn't see any mention of
portforwarding.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.