Re: [TCLUG:8536] cpio examples needed...

Chris Kesler wrote:

> >         should I just go use BRU? I would prefer something that uses a nice,
> > portable format (like tar). I've got enough different tape formats lying
> > around as it is...
> >
> > thanks,
> > Carl Soderstrom

I ended up just going with tar, but it's a single workstation
situation.  If you're doing net backups, it changes things, I guess.  I
figure that in the event of a catastrophic failure (read:  equipment
destroying fire), you should be able to pull a surviving tar tape up on
almost any *nix machine with the right tape drive.  However, I feel like
it's a little like the Wild West -- in general, people aren't worried
about backup compatibility and it's every man for him/herself.

Philosophically, does this bother anyone?  I know there's nothing to do
-- you can standardize, but then there's compliance, so why bother.
Just curious -- opinion poll, sorta.

<Aside:  If the PC morons (Apple, IBM, Microsoft) had introduced the
concept of reliable backups to the mainstream public by simply including
*some* drive in the boxes and forcing backup utilities on the unwitting
consumer the way they do less useful software, the world would be that
much closer to nirvana.>

Phil Mendelsohn

--
if ( $income > $expenses OR $time != $money )
      set hell_frozen = true;